When Dénes Kálnoky, the King’s Justice of the Micloșoara Region, met his Maker without having a successor, he left his possessions to his sister, Franciska Kálnoky. Following the death of his son, Ferenc Seethal, the Kálnoky family’s hunting castle in Micloșoara was bought in 1939 by Eugen Savu, former finance minister of the Romanian government. After the regime change in 1989, Savu’s descendants were initially interested only in pastures and forests that could be quickly sold. Although, after some time, they became aware of the value of the castle, they did not make their claim until well after the limitation period had expired, which, of course, the court did not take into account. Thus, the castle remained the property of the municipality of Baraolt, and the foundation established by Count Tibor Kálnoky granted it a 49-years-concession.
Since then, Count Kálnoky and his family have restored the castle building, which bears late Renaissance and Baroque features. The utilisation objective of the application submitted to the Norway Grants in 2014 is to create a so-called living museum, also suitable for organising events, which could become a magnet for the Baraolt Depression.
Today the building is home to the Museum of Transylvanian Life, while the cellar of the castle and the castle garden offer the possibility to organise various events. It is indeed one of the Baraolt Depression’s magnets.