Fortified Reformed Church from Ilieni
Fortified churches and churches
Ilieni, Jud. Covasna, Romania
In the Middle ages a whole defensive system was built along the southern border of Transylvania, one of these it was the fortified church from Ilieni. On the hill above the village was a small church built in Romanesque style at the beginning of the 12th century. Its place was taken over by a larger church in 1443, built in Gothic style, to be fortified with a wall. At the end of the 16th century, beginning of the 17th century, after the Saxon sieges in 1612, the complex was surrounded by another fortification wall, and five bastions were built. The fortress has a pentagonal shape, the corners are provided with bastions, and watch towers.